After a successful tour in Eureka just shy of three months, I had come upon my final day of work onsite. This tour had three phases it seemed; I was flying solo for the first 5 weeks, then my boss from Dalhousie arrived for 3 weeks, followed by working with the Canadian Arctic ACE/OSIRIS Validation Campaign (colloquially known as the Sunrise Campaign) who were onsite to take atmospheric measurements as the sun began to grace us again.
ACE/OSIRIS website
 |
Canadian Arctic ACE/OSIRIS Validation Campaign - Intensive Phase
(myself, Xiaoyi Zhao, Dan Weaver, Sebastien Roche, and Paul Loewen) |
The incoming plane that was scheduled to pickup myself and the Sunrise Campaign, arrived a day late due to weather delays in Cambridge Bay and Resolute Bay. They eventually flew via Gjoa Haven onward to Resolute Bay, and up to Eureka. When the plane arrived, I was scheduled to assist an instrument technician with the install/repair of a meteor radar at one of our labs. This task took us until 0430, and then we finally slept. After a brief nap it was time to wake up and pack up for the trip home, amidst still assisting the technician. Everything went smoothly and suddenly I was airborne again, headed south. It still felt as if I only just arrived a week or two before. Time does fly when you are having fun I suppose.
We were treated to a golden sunset over the cloud spattered skyline as we worked our way south to Resolute Bay and southwest to Yellowknife. We arrived safely below the treeline in Yellowknife, and -20°C has never felt so warm before. Amidst the vehicles and trees we all found our way to our respective hotels and then out for a bite to eat. Later that night on my walk back to my hotel I was greeted by the northern lights dancing away against a very dark northern sky.
The next day we all got together for brunch before our flights. Paul's Saskatoon flight was unfortunately canceled that morning, and he was now stuck in town until the early afternoon. Dan, Xiaoyi, and Sebastien were scheduled to depart on the early afternoon flight bound for Toronto. So this left myself and Paul to explore Yellowknife for the afternoon. Given that Paul has been graced with the fortune of being a father-to-be, this may be one of the last times he was going to be in Yellowknife, and he wanted to take in as much as he could. We toured three or four art galleries, caught up with a carver that Paul knew where he commissioned a custom arctic wolf carving. After that, we wandered into Old Town and went to Bullocks Bistro for Paul's retirement lunch. Who can resist fresh arctic char?? Not this kid.
After lunch, Paul had to get to the airport to make his flight to Calgary with a connection to Saskatoon. As for me, I had another few hours of exploring to do before I had to pickup Paul's wolf carving, and eventually make my way to the airport for my flight. I wandered around City Hall, down the side streets near the Black Knight Pub, back down into Old Town where I climbed up the hill to the Pilots Monument. Managed to get a good panoramic picture of Yellowknife Harbour, which was now a frozen airfield and frozen suburb where the house boats are frozen in for the winter. The annual Ice Castle snow carvings were on display as well. I had a bit of time left, so I wandered over to the Ice Castle and took some more pictures. As I walked by Bullocks on my way out to the ice, I was stopped by some fellow tourists who asked me for directions. I suppose I am starting to look like a local now! Finally it was time to go pickup Paul's carving, and off to the airport.
 |
| Yellowknife Harbour |
My flight into Calgary was slightly delayed but made it safely. As I walked off the plane into the terminal in Calgary, albeit with social blinders on to avoid the influx of people, I saw Paul sitting there waiting for me. “oh hey Paul, how're things?”....turns out both of us had a layover in Calgary, which allowed me to personally deliver his new wolf carving.
 |
| Paul's wolf carving |
Eventually it was time for us both to mosey on our way, bound for the Prairies and The Big Smoke. Paul would arrive home before my flight left for Toronto, and I would fight the sleep monster yet again enroute to Toronto.
After only a slight delay into Toronto, I was back on solid ground again and within the grasp of Southern Ontario (for now). My friend Alastair, whom I worked with in Eureka and who now works out of Winnipeg for Environment Canada, picked me up at the airport. Later that day we met up with two other Environment Canada employees with the Eureka connection (and two with the Alert connection), and we headed out to quench our thirst with some libations. Always a good time catching up with good people!
Sunday morning brought the next and final leg of my trip home. I walked down to Union Station in Toronto and boarded my train for Waterloo. Met at the train by my good friend Kyle, and I was back home again. 3 days since we were wheels-up in Eureka.
This longer trip home has made me realize how much I truly enjoy the process of being in-transit. The joy truly can be in the ride, if you allow it.
Time to catch a couple days of sleep, and then off to warmer latitudes.
Happiest of Trails everyone.
 |
| Herd of muskox (photo credit: Paul Loewen) |
 |
| At the frontier of Canadian Arctic Science (photo credit: Paul Loewen) |
 |
| Solar Tracker on the roof of the Ridge Lab (photo credit: Paul Loewen) |
 |
| Arctic Fox (photo credit: Paul Loewen) |
 |
| Muskox herd (photo credit: Paul Loewen) |
 |
| Lone wolf (photo credit: Paul Loewen) |
 |
| Xiaoyi framed by some amazing Sun Dogs (photo credit: Paul Loewen) |
 |
| Dan making friends with an Arctic Hare (photo credit: Paul Loewen) |
 |
| The Ridge Lab (photo credit: Paul Loewen) |
 |
| Me, with Blacktop Ridge behind me. (photo credit: Dan Weaver) |